Search

Thursday, July 19, 2007

2 down and 1 to go...



The third trimester has hit me like a ton of bricks. As you know the first and second trimesters were quite kind to me. Now, aside from growing bigger and actually looking pregnant, I am really feeling pregnant as well. It first started with the heartburn. I have even added a full bottle of Tums to the staple items that I carry in my purse. (the little rolls of Tums just were not cutting it anymore) Next began the severe hip pain. At times I find it hard to move let a lone get up once I have lied down. I have since discovered that sleeping with a pillow between your legs and under your belly while lying on you side, really is the best and most comfortable way to lie down to go to sleep. Speaking of sleep that’s another fun issue. Between hurting hips, heartburn, and having to get up to pee, I have already started the training for being able to function with little to no sleep at all. But that’s not all; I can officially say that I have been fully introduced to the leg cramps. I was told by a very wise woman, that no matter what this would be one of the joys of pregnancy that I would not be able to avoid, like I avoided so many other pregnancy symptoms. They came on slow, with not much bother at all. Then last night happened and I found out what this leg-cramping thing is all about. Like many things, I was warned, but it is hard to understand the severity until it happens to you. And no, it is not treatable like a normal Charlie horse, it is the special leg cramp specially designated for pregnant woman. Now, I would like to talk about the growing baby inside of me. It has become quite active. (which also plays a role in the lack of sleep, but is not my point at the moment) This is the time in pregnancy when the baby crowds your organs. This is not a joke. This is what explained the lack of hunger that I talked about. It also can cause dizziness, and shortness of breath. My baby has found a comfortable place directly under the right side of my ribcage. I think that s/he is using my ribs as monkey bars. It has also become more and more challenging to get dressed, at least for work that is. I work in an environment of casual work attire, but this does not allow me to wear my comfortable ribbed tanks and low cut shorts. It is interesting every morning when I attempt to pick out my outfit. I am outgrowing just about all of my clothes. It is all in the belly, and I also have the issue of trying to not make my protruding belly button to obvious. This is quite the challenge. With all of these exciting adventures that I have experienced lately, comes one more, and it is the hardest one to admit, but with the realization that pregnancy is coming to an end and motherhood is right around the corner, it is emotionally draining. I am happy, sad, confused, scared, excited, and anxious all at the same time. Oh, and did I mention that I am really sensitive, meaning don’t tell me that my new dress looks like a couch cover and expect me not to cry! But then again, you know that two minutes later, I will be laughing at myself.


* Disclaimer* the above information is strictly that, information. In no way did I intend it to be a complaint.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful! Great picture!
There are many pregnant women in my class and they are always talking about things that are changing. Last nights topic was just that, hip pains, how to get comfortable, and using a body pillow. Oh and getting up during the night to go pee! :0)
You're almost there!

Nicol said...

At least you will know what to expect when your time comes!

I know only 10(?) weeks to go!

Meagan Vanover, CWP said...

hey- you have every right to complain. you have a living person inside of you totally taking over your body.

as far as the leg cramps go. i'm sorry. they suck. supposedly potassium helps (so eat lots of bananas) and try to keep your feet elevated when you're sitting.

Nicol said...

this shit's banana's B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Teresa said...

YOU ARE SO GOOFY!!

Teresa said...

On another note…
I hope that when I am pregnant my pregnancy goes as smooth as yours!!

R said...

well, sounds like you are in the homestretch. no pun intended as the WORST symptom i had (aside from heartburn every night at 9) was the whole hip pain spreading thingy. there were times i could not walk, get up from the couch, and whatnot. the good thing is my hips went back to their prepregnancy spot.
but you look great, and that is great for only 1 tri left. (is it one tri or one month left?_

Nicol said...

one tri.... I am at 31 weeks...