Search

Sunday, November 25, 2007

B is for Batteries


Growing up and still to this day my parents have an old shoebox full of batteries. All kinds of batteries. When I was a kid I thought that it was great that my toys never were out of order due to lack of power. A,AA,AAA, C,D,9V, any kind I needed it was always there. As I grew up and did not need the batteries as much, I began to think that it was silly. I would slyly make fun of the old shoebox of endless batteries. As the years went on the supply was not as plentiful as it once was. A few years ago, Paul actually had to make an emergency run on Christmas morning, so that my mom could have batteries for her camera. Now, she keeps a bag full of batteries just for her camera in her camera bag.


Now, years later and 9-weeks after giving birth to our little Josie, we need batteries. Batteries for everything, and she does not have any toys yet. We have purchased more batteries in the past 9-weeks than we have in the 9-years that we have been together. There is something about having your baby in their swing and hearing the batteries dying, and then realizing that there are no more D batteries. THERE ARE NO MORE D BATTERIES! CRAP! She's sleeping so nicely in the swing, and you know that you are moments away from the swing slowly coming to a stop, the music fading into a high pitched squeal. You begin to ask yourself, whether or not she'll notice. Maybe she'll stay sleeping, you think to yourself. Oh, no she won't so you now hesitate as one of you dash out across the street to CVS, only to find that they are out of D batteries. HOW CAN THEY BE OUT OF BATTERIES!?!?!? By now, she's awake so while on the phone, telling your significant other not to bother, as you are picking your screaming baby up, only to have her stop crying as soon as her head hits your shoulder.


Okay so, I totally exaggerated that story. Really the only part of it that is true is that Josie was in her swing, and we heard the batteries starting to dwindle down. But I thought that it was a good way to get my point across. We need batteries. We really have purchased more batteries than ever before. I can't even imagine how many more we'll be buying over the years as she grows, and the toys that require batteries grow. So, I have a strange feeling that we will be needing an old shoebox to put every kind of battery in. I'm sure that she'll appreciate them, and then one day make fun of me for my shoebox, but in the meantime, we'll always have power.

No comments: