Search

Friday, July 28, 2006

what page / path are you on? does it really matter?

Last night I was sitting on the patio at BW3’s, with my two best friends, Michelle and Teresa. We sat there having the normal mundane conversation; plans for the weekend, work, etc., when suddenly our topic of conversation curved. We began talking about not work but our careers. And not weekend plans, but our plans for parenthood. And it hit me. We are individuals with such different goals. It kind of startled me, not the individual part, but the fact that our goals are so different. I mean if you think about it, growing up most of your goals are the same. Little things like going to see the hottest movie for the summer, saving from your part time job to buy the same pair of jeans- just because they were so cool! Then college became the goal, then boys and marriage. We were all on the same page. But now, some of us have put bookmarks, in holding on to finish up the story. Some of us are just skimming thru, getting enough to understand the story (or so we think). Some are jumping right to the end, and skipping everything in between. So, I guess it is time to realize, this is where it happens, this is where we begin to grow, to truly be individuals, not just cookie cut out of what all 25 year old woman are supposed to be. It is impossible to say who’s on the right path. We are all, on very different paths, but our individual paths are made up of what we want. For some there may be some bumps in the road, and others may be able to set the cruise control and just sit back. But as far as I am concerned as longs as everyone is happy, then the page or the path really does not matter. What really matters is that we are all happy, and what makes me happy may not be the same for someone else. So no matter how fast or slow you read, or what you decide to skip, or what you decide to focus on more. I say, good for you. I am happy for you. And at the end, we will be back on the same page.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well put!

Meagan Vanover, CWP said...

and when you get to that point of parenthood, that is when you find out how strong your friendships really are. it is incrediblly hard to sustain relationships with people who are not at that point and you have to work ten times harder to have things in common.

Nicol said...

yep! I think that WE have found that out the hard way!

Meagan Vanover, CWP said...

exactly. so now we need to keep working at it, and if you're moving back to farmada (let us know when you need help moving/packing/etc.) you'll be close enough that we won't permit any of your retarded excuses.

Nicol said...

We really do not need any help for moving right now....maybe in 6 months! Everything except our clothes and our bed is going in my grandma's garage. Retarded excuses!! name one.

Meagan Vanover, CWP said...

"i get home so late"
"we never know your schedule"
"paul has to shower"
"i'm tired"
"i have a headache"

our schedule never changes: monday after 7 or tuesday-friday after 5

weekends vary

Nicol said...

I skipped poker once, due to a migraine...

Our schedule only changes when I have school...
Paul does not get home until 7:00 or later during the week, except for Wednesday's which he is off and you know this.

When I am in school, I go from 6-10 at night two to four times a week, and depending on the class.

Don't forget that I also work 8-5 everyday...

The rest of my time is homework, and housework (Paul will argue that point)

weekends vary... We hardly ever make plans to far in advance, someone always calls us... you know that thing that has buttons on it with numbers. It also has a # and a * . If you push the 7 numbers that make up our phone number, guess what we will answer our thingy with buttons on it and numbers....

Ta Da

Love ya!